Thursday, March 29, 2012

An Ode to A Patient...

 So I woke up at eight twenty four
with my alarm clock thrown down on the floor.
I sat for a sec
then I hopped to the deck
"It's too light out to be 6:44!!!"

My first patient at a half past eight,
I was already horribly late.
So I called to the nurses,
as I spat heinous curses;
What a fabulous day this would create.

After popping in and out of the shower
I gave my mirror image a glower
"Why'd you have to sleep in?
Is that a zit on your chin?"
It seems over my body I have no power.

So I rushed through the streets of my town,
giving those driving slowly a frown.
"I'm an ass." I confess,
and I'm still just half dressed
I look like some bedridden clown.

When to the hospital I finally arrive,
I run breathless, just trying to survive.
by the time I'm in clinic,
I'm a rushed, breathless cynic,
And I look like I'm barely alive.

Colleagues stare, saying "are you okay?"
concerned looks are all aimed my way.
I find what rooms I'm in,
grab a chart to begin,
"please don't be a train-wreck" I pray.

So my first patient is understanding and kind,
and I thank heavens that to me she's assigned.
She has just one complaint,
She's a real clinic saint.
A sore back; but then what did I find?

Point tenderness on the bones in her neck.
I go back to her history to check...
Cancer of the breast
which she'd beat by each test.
But now this exam; what the heck?!

Back to the oncologist she must go,
to see what further testing might show.
So my nurse I did ask
to help me with the task
Of scheduling a date with a doc who's a pro.

I head back to my patient, and I tell
of the worries that now make my head swell.
"We must now further check
on this pain in your neck."
And it was then that my poor patient's face fell.

"Is it back?" she asks with a worried gaze.
What to say? I felt a bit in a daze.
"There's a chance; I don't know.
We'll see what more tests show.
But I'm here for you through these stressful days."

I tell her that the pain in her spine
could be something completely benign.
But with her recent woes
From the cancerous foes
Pose the thought that all may not be fine.

I tell of what could possibly be,
Though that diagnosis won't be up to me.
I am honest and strait
About how she must wait.
A long road was something I could foresee.

Then my nurse popped her head in the room
I hoped to say the appointment was soon.
"Dr. T, could you please,"
With no hint of unease...
Make note: do not ever assume.

"There's only one oncology group in town,
and I'm afraid her insurance has been turned down.
She can switch to a plan
so her coverage can span
this appointment." And then came the frown.

"As it seems with this new plan there's a catch,
in that with us her insurance won't match."
"See them or see us?"
 I blurt out, with a cuss
This poor woman's really hit a rough patch.

How's this fair to a woman of twenty-nine,
Who, until twenty-four, was just fine.
Then a lump was discovered, 
And the word 'Cancer' hovered.
The rest of her life had been redefined.

Her blood showed that she had certain genes,
That when present, they usually mean,
That cancer of the breast
Could possibly be expressed.
Female relatives with this curse she had seen.

So she had both her breasts then removed,
To the cancer she hoped she could prove,
No disease could take charge,
In her body enlarge,
Unless she herself had first approved.

She was cured, all the tests had said so.
Were the lymph nodes involved? Tests said no.
Her health had a clean bill,
Her wish had been fulfilled.
Now to face this possibly - what a blow.

I sat down with her, and told her the truth,
That with this history in her youth
She needed them more than me,
It was clear, we could see.
They were the ones to help fight nail and tooth.

So this patient, not mine anymore,
Turned to me as she walked out of the door.
"Thank you maam," with a smile,
"I'll be back in a while."
But the fear in her face, I couldn't ignore.

I stayed back in the room for a bit,
Thinking of this woman, her dealt cards had been shit.
Would she be okay?
Would I see her one day?
If only fate could be kind, and permit.

Then I thought of the morning I'd had,
And how I thought that my day was bad.
She'd had courage and poise,
Through life's loud background noise.
At myself, this did make me quite mad.

She taught me to take all life in stride,
dodge the rocks that get flung on life's ride.
You can't have full control,
But that's what makes life whole.
Let the challenges you face be your guide.

Don't get down, or dwell on the mishaps,
Cause sometimes life can just turn to crap.
Pick yourself off the ground,
Note the strength you have found.
And give hard times and strife a good slap.

When you're dealt a bad hand, it's not fair.
But do you think that fate really does care?
It's your job to endure.
That's what makes us mature,
And able to handle despair.

Every patient has a lesson to teach,
Your encounters have wisdom to preach.
So pay real close attention,
And wade through all the tension.
Hang on to each word from their speech.

You will find that when you are mildly reflective,
And see things from someone else's perspective,
It could always be worse,
No matter what is your curse.
Enjoying the good times should be your main objective.

That's my ode to my patient that day,
The moral, I hope that I've helped convey.
Keep your patients in mind,
And humility you'll find.
Your life could be in much worse disarray.

No comments:

Post a Comment