Friday, March 9, 2012

Nice to know that preggers have a sex life

Today was the last day of my OB rotation; last for my intern year too (it's bittersweet since I love me some babies). This afternoon I was practicing OB ultrasounds, we got a glimpse of Cletus (the fetus) kicking back and fanning his/her toes... Nice beer belly there Clet...

-chillin-like-a-villain-

**FYI - stop reading if you are easily grossed out by the discussion of normal bodily functions**

So I had a really interesting interaction in the NHC (OB) clinic today with a new patient....her and her husband/boyfriend/baby-daddy were there together, and Dad was really into the questions and learning all he could about pregnancy. As I'm going through her review of sytems, I'm asking about if she's having any vaginal bleeding or discharge...

"Yeah, I'm having some whiteish discharge" she replies. 

I go on to tell her that if it's white and odorless without any itching, pain or discomfort, that's likely just the normal discharge seen in pregnancy. Then I start telling her signs to look for if it's something abnormal...

"Green, yellow, or grey discharge, any foul odor, vaginal pain or discomfort, etc" I say. 

Then dad looks at me and says...

"So if it's colorless, odorless and tasteless, then it's normal discharge and won't do anything to us, right?"

Yeah.....that's fine. Extra protein wherever you can get it I guess. Then he jumped right into wanting to know "how much sex is too much sex?" Oh Friday, you can never come soon enough....

No comments:

Post a Comment